Revision surgery is a weight loss procedure that is sometimes necessary as a second chance to help patients lose weight and become healthy and more active when the first bariatric surgery did not work adequately or had failed. Failure of the first or primary bariatric surgery may be due to a variety of reasons including older version of bariatric procedure, pouch dilation with stretching of the stomach, gastric band related complications, and inadequate primary procedure for the amount of weight the patient needed to lose.
Dr. Sashi Ganta is a specialist in revision bariatric surgery and one of the most experienced bariatric surgeons in Austin. He had been performing the revision procedures since 2006 in his Austin Bariatric Surgery practice.
If a patient is a candidate for any revision bariatric surgery procedure and which procedure is appropriate for the patient can only be determined upon a full individual consultation with the surgeon in our practice. This can be easily scheduled through our website. This is a no obligation consultation where the surgeon can learn about your first procedure and determine why the procedure had not worked as intended long term and discuss potential options and details including costs with the patient.
Some of the common revision surgery options are as follows-
Failed Gastric Band
- Band removal and revision to gastric sleeve
- Band removal and revision to gastric bypass
- Band removal and revision to duodenal switch
Failed Gastric bypass
- Lap band over gastric bypass
- Pouch and stoma reduction with Overstitch and Stomaphyx
- Revision gastric bypass
Failed Gastric sleeve
- Revision to gastric bypass
- Revision to duodenal switch standard or Single anastomosis
Previous bariatric surgery such as VBG
- Revision to gastric bypass
Revision Surgery Advantages
- Laparoscopic approach leads to less pain, fast recovery and minimal scarring in patient’s post-surgery
- Gives a second chance for patients to lose weight and get healthy again
- This is a safe, reliable and effective procedure
Is Revision Surgery Right for You?
Which type of revision surgery is best for you, depends on your specific situation with health and your goals. Dr. Ganta will take many factors into account, including your body mass index, your eating habits, your health problems, previous bariatric surgery and the risks of each procedure. The best way to determine if you would benefit from gastric sleeve procedure would be to meet with Dr. Ganta in a free evaluation or a full consultation.
Revision Surgery Process
Revision surgery is a secondary weight loss procedure when the first bariatric surgery did not work adequately or had failed. The patient and insurance process for revision surgery varies significantly from primary surgery and is frequently determined on a case by case basis
Nuself Bariatrics specializes in revision bariatric surgery and our experienced staff had helped hundreds of patients with insurance approval process for revision bariatric surgery since 2006. Often times we can give the patient a fairly good idea if insurance might cover the revision procedure based on the information provided at the initial phone call.
- If patient has insurance coverage please complete and submit the verification of benefits form. Link provided at the bottom of this page. If no insurance coverage, you may go to next step.
- Patient to schedule initial full consultation or a free evaluation after speaking to our staff which one of these two steps may be appropriate for your situation.
- At the initial consultation, Dr. Ganta will discuss your candidacy for revision surgery and which revision options might work best for you.
- At the initial consultation, our insurance and financial specialists will meet with you to discuss your insurance coverage details, costs, and any self pay and financing options. Frequently w can determine your potential surgery date and may even be able to schedule the surgery at that visit.
- Prior to proceeding Dr. Ganta may order some tests to determine which previous bariatric surgery you had and to determine the current anatomy and suitability for the chosen revision surgery procedure. These tests may include an UGI exam under X-ray or an Endoscopy that sometimes can be performed in our office.
- Once patient decides to move forward we will schedule the next steps including medical testing and any required appointments to meet insurance requirements.
- After completion of the above steps, surgery date is finalized and surgery completed.
Will Revision Surgery work for you?
The best way to determine if you would benefit from revision surgery procedure would be to meet with Dr. Ganta in a free evaluation or a full consultation.
Cost of Revision bariatric procedures and payment options
Many patients have insurance coverage for the procedures and coverage for each patient can only be determined after a consultation in our office. Often we can provide preliminary information over the phone. There are also many patients whose insurance does not pay for weight loss procedures, especially revision procedures.
Don’t let the cost keep you from taking steps to a healthier and active life you want and deserve. Investing in your health, well being and longevity is the best investment you can ever make. Whether you need to finance your deductibles or the total procedure costs Nuself Bariatrics has self-pay options that can help. Please go to our financing page below to get more details.