Best Gastric Sleeve Surgeon in Texas
Dr. Sashi Ganta is an expert in Gastric Sleeve surgery. The Gastric Sleeve (also known as the sleeve gastrectomy or vertical sleeve gastrectomy) procedure reduces weight primarily through restriction by creating a smaller stomach. It is believed that gastric sleeve surgery significantly reduces the production of the “hunger hormone” ghrelin, which reduces the amount of hunger patients feel after the surgery. Dr. Sashi Ganta is one of the most experienced gastric sleeve surgeons in Austin and was among the first surgeons to perform gastric sleeve surgery in Austin. He has been performing Gastric Sleeve procedures since 2006 in his Austin Bariatric Surgery practice.
The Gastric Sleeve Surgery Process
Our approach to Gastric sleeve surgery is performed as a minimally invasive laparoscopic procedure. This technique leads to reduced pain and scarring as well as a faster recovery time. The laparoscopic Gastric Sleeve involves removing about 80% of the stomach, which creates a “sleeve” of your stomach –making it the size and shape of a small banana. The new smaller stomach can hold about 3-4 ounces, which leads to weight loss. By removing the remainder of the stomach, most of the hunger hormone producing part of the stomach is eliminated.
Single Incision or SILS Approach to Gastric Sleeve Surgery
Dr. Sashi Ganta is one of the few gastric sleeve surgeons in the country to offer surgery with a single incision and no visible scar to suitable patients. Dr. Ganta pioneered the SILS approach for lap band surgery and is believed to be the first bariatric surgeon in Texas to perform lap band surgery utilizing the trans-umbilical SILS approach in September of 2008. Weight loss surgeons from across the country have visited Austin to receive training in the SILS approach from Dr. Ganta. Many patients also travel to Austin from other states to receive treatment from the pioneer of this technique. This inventive approach involves performing the gastric sleeve procedure via one small incision at the belly button which leaves no visible scarring on the abdomen. Because of this, our gastric sleeve patients have an opportunity for significantly improved cosmetic results and less pain with a faster recovery.
Endoscopic Gastric Sleeve
- The endoscopic Gastric Sleeve is a novel method to perform the procedure utilizing endoscopic approach rather than a surgical approach with multiple incisions.
- The procedure is performed utilizing an Overstitch device for endoscopic suturing. This procedure is performed in the hospital as an outpatient and patient can go home the same day.
Photo courtesy of Mayo Clinic, Department of Gastroenterology.
- The endoscopic gastric sleeve procedure involves suturing the stomach from inside to create the shape of a sleeve and it does not involve removing any part of the stomach. In this regard this is similar to a Gastric Plication procedure except that this procedure is non surgical and does not involve surgical incisions.
- This procedure is in the experimental stages at this time and not routinely offered to all patients. Though it is a very safe procedure by design the clinical results of weight loss and longevity of the procedure aren't established.
The Advantages of Gastric Sleeve Surgery:
- Our laparoscopic approach leads to less pain, fast recovery and minimal scarring in patient’s post-surgery.
- This is a restrictive bariatric procedure, with a proven record of leading to excellent weight loss.
- Surgery also reduces production of “ghrelin”- which is a hunger hormone.
- It can also dramatically improve various metabolic functions of the body. If you have diabetes, surgery can improve your body’s ability to control blood sugar levels. Sometimes this works well enough that diabetes patients are able to maintain normal blood sugars and A1c levels without the use of medication.
- This is a safe, reliable and effective procedure.
- Gastric sleeve surgery has far fewer side effects compared to gastric bypass surgery.
Is Gastric Sleeve Surgery Right for You?
Not all patients are candidates for this approach. Results can vary and are not guaranteed even for patients determined to be candidates before the surgery.
The type of weight-loss surgery that is best for you depends on your specific health and goals. To make any recommendation, Dr. Sashi Ganta takes many factors into account, including your body mass index, your eating habits, your health problems, any previous surgeries, and the risks of each procedure. The best way to determine if you would benefit from gastric sleeve procedure would be to meet with Dr. Ganta in a free evaluation or for a full consultation.
You might be a candidate for gastric sleeve surgery if you have a:
- BMI over 40 with or without any obesity related health problems
- BMI 30-40 with weight related health issues
Operation and Recovery from Gastric Sleeve Procedure:
- Patients are admitted on the morning of surgery typically 2 hours before the scheduled procedure.
- After preoperative process patients are evaluated by the registered nurse and anesthesia team.
- The procedure is performed under full general anesthesia and takes approximately 60-90 minutes. Everyone's procedure is a bit different based on anatomy and requirements.
- Dr. Ganta believes that the procedure should not be rushed and adequate time should be spent in performing every procedure with precision and meticulousness to lead to the best possible result and recovery.
- Most patients are discharged the next afternoon once they can tolerate a clear liquid diet.
- Suggested time off from work varies, but many patients can return to routine activities in about a week.
Benefits of Laparoscopic Gastric Sleeve Surgery:
- Typical gastric sleeve results are reported in the 55-65% of excess weight loss range at 1 year after the surgery. Many patients in our practice have accomplished 75% to 95% of excess weight loss in 1-2 years after the surgery, however this varies depending on the patient.
- This procedure is less likely to cause nutrition complications such as malabsorption of vitamins.
- Minimal long term complications are expected with this Gastric sleeve procedure.
- It may improve the fertility of women as well as the chance to conceive and is more likely to lead to the delivery of healthy babies.
- It can resolve obesity related diseases like Diabetes type 2, high blood pressure and sleep apnea.
- Because of significant weight loss, patients may find relief from arthritic pains in joints that improves their mobility and ability to exercise.
Life after gastric sleeve surgery
One of the most rewarding aspects of our practice is being able to witness the transformation that occurs after surgery. We offer comprehensive bariatric care with support groups, follow-up visits, and continued education series to our patients and monitor their progress. We will do everything we can to ensure the most successful long term weight loss results as you possibly could achieve. We want to take part in your joy and pride of being healthy, active, and living your best life.
Cost of gastric sleeve surgery in Austin
Undergoing a laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy requires serious commitment emotionally and financially. The cost may be a barrier for many patients who find themselves unable to finance their procedure. We understand the monetary concerns that bariatric surgery patients have, and we are glad to help explore insurance coverage and other ways to finance their procedures. To learn more about the cost of a gastric sleeve in our practice please contact us at 512-257-2425.