Gastric Plication is one of the recent procedures introduced in bariatric surgery in Texas. It is also known as gastric imbrication or laparoscopic greater curve plication and considered an investigational procedure due to lack of long term data about the safety or efficacy of the procedure. Dr. Sashi Ganta is one of the most experienced gastric plication surgeons in Austin and was among the first surgeons to perform gastric plication surgery in Austin.
The Gastric plication procedure is similar to gastric sleeve surgery, but the plication is created by folding and suturing the stomach in itself rather than cutting, stapling and permanently removing it. Since the stomach is not divided or removed the plication procedure virtually eliminates the potential major complication risks associated with traditional Gastric Sleeve such as leaks, bleeding, strictures caused by excess scar tissue. Since there is no implant associated with the plication procedure and the long term complications should be less than a lap band.
Gastric Plication Advantages
- The procedure is reported to cause weight loss results similar to the lap band in some preliminary international studies. Even though we expect very few if any short term or long term complications with this procedure there is not enough published data regarding the gastric plication procedure and therefore the bariatric surgery society considers the procedure as investigational just as they did with the gastric sleeve several years ago.
- A study published in Bariatric Times non peer reviewed journal reports post-operative outcomes for 66 patients (44 female) who had the gastric plication procedure between January 2007 and March 2010. No major complications were reported among the 66 patients. Weight loss outcomes are better than expected lap band results. The study describes gastric plication as a restrictive technique that virtually eliminates the complications associated with adjustable gastric banding and vertical sleeve gastrectomy by creating restriction without the use of implants and without cutting the stomach.
Is Gastric Plication Right for You?
The best way to determine if you would benefit from gastric plication procedure would be to meet with Dr. Ganta in a free evaluation or a full consultation. Recovery from Gastric plication procedure:
- Patients are admitted on the morning of surgery typically 2 hours before the scheduled procedure
- After preoperative process you are evaluated by the registered nurse and anesthesia team
- Procedure is then performed under full general anesthesia and takes approximately 90 minutes. Everyone's procedure is a bit different based on anatomy and requirements.
- Most patients are discharged home the same day.
- Return to work times may vary but many patients return to routine activities in about a week.
Benefits of Laparoscopic Gastric Plication
- Long term results of this procedure and efficacy of the procedure are not available and this procedure is considered investigational. Expected weight loss is between 40-50% of excess weight.
- The procedure is less likely to cause nutrition complications such as malabsorption of vitamins.
- Minimal short or long term complications are expected with the procedure.
Life after gastric plication surgery
We offer comprehensive bariatric care with support groups, follow-up visits, and continued education series to our patients and monitor their progress.
Cost of gastric plication surgery in Austin
Undergoing weight loss surgery requires serious commitment emotionally and financially. The cost may be a barrier for many patients and find themselves unable to finance their procedure. We understand the monetary concerns that bariatric surgery patients have, and we are glad to help patients finance their procedures. Gastric plication is not covered by insurance plans. To learn more about the cost of a gastric plication in our practice please contact us at 512-257-2425.